Tuesday 17 November 2015

Planetbase - Preview

Today, my class and I played the new(ish) game, Planetbase. In this game, you rule a colony on another planet, and you try to control as much as possible to keep everyone alive, yet also keep your resources in check.
I will be guiding you through the tutorial of which I took myself (or at least the essentials of said tutorial) as efficiently as possible, as well as explaining my current thoughts on the game.

The first thing that happens is I land on the planet.
 I then go into this menu, labelled "interior structures", found in the top left corner:
 And then I click this in order to build an Oxygen Generator:
 I place it down, as shown below:
I then go into the exterior structures menu, found directly next to the menu I opened before, and I build this a solar panel, as shown below:
While the above don't look like much, this is what they look like finished:
So once they're all finished, I click on both of my structures.
I then click the link option, causing the two to join together.
Once that's done, I build myself a Water Extractor, found in the exterior structures menu.
I then place it next to the solar panel, and join the two together.
I build myself an airlock, found again in the interior structures menu,
and I proceed to link it to my oxygen generator.
Now that I have a source of oxygen and power, I need food. So, I go into the interior structures menu, and I make myself a canteen.
I then place it next to my oxygen generator, as it is my only other interior structure (other than my airlock, which I believe can only have one thing indoor linking to it), and I link the two together.
However, at the moment, my canteen is worthless. I click on this option, which allows me to edit my structures. I can use this to put down a table, a water fountain (powered by my water extractor), and a television for entertainment.
I then build a dorm, once again, found in interior structures.
It's not really important where it links, although I choose the canteen for efficiency (wake up, go next door, have breakfast, go to work, have lunch, do more work, have dinner, go to bed).

I find this game to be quite enjoyable, and I am looking forward to taking a much deeper look into it tomorrow. However, while the gameplay seems quite addictive (actually similar to SimCity), the graphics could use a little more effort. It's 2015, and I've seen games from 2010 looking better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment